In an article by the Associated Press, it is reported that Pres Obama is to have called for a change in the language used by national security documents such as "Islamic radicalism".  Though I don't know how much of a difference this rewording will make, it is something I can relate to.  The reported wrote:

The revisions are part of a larger effort about which the White House talks openly, one that seeks to change not just how the U.S. talks to Muslim nations, but also what it talks to them about, from health care and science to business startups and education.  Full Article.
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or in other words, a Mormon.  I love my faith and feel as though it has made my life better.  At the same time, it is hard for me to hear the media portray my church and fundamentalist off-shoots there of in a convoluted and confusing manner.  Though we stem from the same roots, I feel as though the past hundred years have differed us enough that we should not be reference every time polygamy pops up on the 5:30 national news.  These feelings then make it easy to relate to Obama's desire to show that not all Muslims are terrorists, much like how the vast majority of people who believe the teachings of Joseph Smith do not have plural wives.  What you call something has great consequence with what your mind relates it to and how it is interpreted.  Moving from the idea of "Islamic radicalism" to a more pointed and specific word usage could be a good thing.

On the other hand, how much difference changing rhetoric in a document that most Americans will never ready is debatable. 

I'm just waiting for the forwarded emails calling Obama a terrorist for changing how we refer to groups like Al Qeda.  Man, I hate those emails.  Who writes them?  Where do they come from?  A literal form of "junk emails" if you ask me.  I'll stick with my Africa Lottery junk mail, thank you very much.

Jake

1 comments:

Bryce Buchanan said...

If someone does send an email like that I bet they include the picture of Obama in that outfit.
You know, THAT one.

Post a Comment