When I was young, I'm not sure how old but I'd say 10 or so, my father took me to hear a science lecture being held in the Huntsman Center at the University of Utah.  I don't remember much but I can see in my minds  eye sitting in the dark in the huge room, listening to an electronic sounding voice and looking at some sort of 3D-cone graphic projected on a giant screen.  The lecturer was Stephen Hawking and to a ten year old it wasn't much but to a 24 year old, I'm pretty happy that I can say I've heard his ideas straight from him.

The only reason I mention this is because of a story released in London about the existence of alien life and Hawking's opinion that these aliens are most likely nomads and would consume our planet.  What?  Yeah that's what I thought.  There is some useful information in the article, like how mathematics make the reality of alien life much more plausible, but in my opinion, Hawking's ideas have been hijacked by a cooperate learning machine, The Discovery Channel.  I'm just not a fan of the Discovery Channel, everything is dramatic, most of their programs seem forced and thrown together.  I get more out of listening to the 7 minute student presentation that are being given in my contemporary Spanish America right now.  That being said, I had better listen.  Peace.

Jake

0 comments:

Post a Comment